22 October 2009

Must Be Practicing for the End of this Month

I went to the Milwaukee Public Museum today (I know, big shock). I went by myself. Amongst other things, one of the long broken exhibits was up and running again and I wanted to see it mobile once again.

At one point later in the day, I was in the Streets of Old Milwaukee exhibit, leaning up against a lamppost, scrawling thoughts on my pad before they could escape me. A family walked past, but not at the same time. I heard a mom and kid go by, then a dad encouraging his son to catch up and then a kid shuffling past. I heard a soft voice say something to the effect of 'Do you talk too?' I turned and saw a young boy that was probably not even five staring at me wide-eyed. I smiled and grunted at him. He hurried to catch up with his dad, who was chuckling. 'Did you think he was a dummy?' asked the dad. I smiled. I'm pretty sure the answer was yes.

Even later in the day I was in the nearby European Village. The museum was starting to clear out and I was alone in the exhibit. Completely alone. I took the opportunity to take some pictures, using a wall to balance my camera on. Kneeling behind the wall, I lined up the shots on the viewscreen and snapped away. As I went to take the last shot, I heard approaching footsteps and rushed to finish. I took the picture without flash and waited to see if the young couple walking at a brisk pace had walked through my shot or not. They hadn't. I stood up. The young lady jumped and squealed. I'd been so still lining up the shot that, in the dark, she hadn't seen I was real. I apologized for scaring her and we all laughed a bit.

Too much fun.

No comments: