29 September 2009

Ramble

I think people get stuck using certain words for certain actions or things. They have a problem rewriting their brains to the new verbiage. I am not any better or worse at this than anyone else.

For instance, in conversation the other weekend, my buddy used the word 'taped' to refer to something he'd recorded on a DVR. There's no tape involved in that process. It's the sort of word that probably dates us to the age of the VCR. I also come at the tail-end of the generation that still talks about going to 'record stores' in order to buy music. Of course, they were going to buy CDs at the time. Most of those stores weren't carrying records anymore and, when they started again, called them 'vinyl' instead.

I was at one of those type stores the last couple days: Best Buy. Some might have called it a record store before because of all the music it offered but I wouldn't now. The music section shrunk again. I think it was four half racks of CDs at each store. Man, Target has more music available than that.

I'm sure it's due to online sales, either of the CD type or the download type. I do a lot of that myself. Part of it is price and part of it is selection. A big online warehouse type retailer can do better on both of those. Alternatively, with mainstream music being so stagnant of late, I've been buying a lot of used CDs again as they can be so cheap. Downloads work good for that as well. If you only like one song, you can just get one song. It's probably not healthy for music in general, but it's healthy for the customer. There are a lot of CDs I've bought over the years that I didn't like that much the first time listening but did the second or third time. You don't get that option when you download a song.

That said, I need to stay away from the used haunts for awhile again. I filled some gaps of late and, unfortunately, started a few gaps. The itch to fill them is getting overpowering. Must...slow...down...

Stupid multiple interests...

2 comments:

MovieMan said...

Tell me about it. It is really sad to see "record stores" of new continue to shrink their CD music section. I know everyone is on line as well but there is something about the expereince of going to the store and flipping through the albums looking for the one you want and possible find one you didn't know you wanted. Technology a blessing and a curse.

Unknown said...

I wore my Atomic Records memorial shirt yesterday and mused wistfully on the topic of music, media, cheap live shows at an intimate venue, stereo equipment, etc. I certainly missed the golden age, but the "status quo" degrades daily. Viva la vinyl, baby.