25 August 2009

Follow-up to Dead Video Device

I've been exploring my options in this area as I was encouraged to try XBMC and building a media center.

Here's the skinny as I currently see it.

I have two PCs that are currently doing nothing. One is clearly broken. I thought it had a power supply issue, I swapped that to no avail, so I wonder if it has a motherboard issue. It's just old and simple enough where it probably isn't worth the mobo replacement, assuming that's the problem, and would just be better off with a new device. The other PC wasn't broken but it was old and slow. I'd stopped using it. When I tinkered with it today, it didn't want to boot. I'm operating under the belief it's dead or nearly dead. It's probably not worth saving at this point due to its age.

I have assorted Mac equipment. XBMC is compatible with OS 10.4 and 10.5. My primary computer is running 10.4.11. The Mac mini, which is right next to the TV and would be perfect for this function, is running 10.3.9. Fail. There is an inexpensive cable that would connect this to the TV but the OS upgrade needed to make it compatible would not be inexpensive.

I haven't looked at cracking open the XBOX to replace the DVD/CD drive. Nor have I looked into getting a 'replacement' item. I don't need two XBOXs. There's still that XBOX 360 in pieces in a box in the corner. The old XBOX still works to play media files but, occasionally, the laser fails. This is very annoying when one is 40 minutes into a 50 minute programme.

After doing a bit more investigating, I think I could grab the code/region-less DVD player I was looking at for $80. According to the specs, it also plays media files and upconverts to 1080.

I know it's not leaning towards the future like a media centre would but that player is getting nicer looking.

I promise to tinker a bit more before making a decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously...

10.4 upgrade $29 - http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Mac_OS_X_v10_4_Tiger_Upgrade_Kit_p/software7.htm

Apple remote $9 - http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Remote_p/remote.htm

I don't know which cable you need for tv connectivity, but those are all $9 as well.

Total cost - $47 + shipping.

Don't fear the future, Steve.