10 June 2009

Some Notes/Thoughts on the Novel Fragment

- That's not meant to be the beginning of the book. I've got it mapped out into sections and that's the beginning of section two, as the quest is beginning to form in the main character's mind. At this point, he's not really sure what he's meant to do but knows it's out 'there' somewhere.

- Character names are largely up for grabs at this point. As I skimmed the text before posting, I had to fix a character name to make it match the rest. 'Jim' was also 'Matt'.

- I posted about a fifth of what I already have done for the proposed book. The bulk of the existing text currently comes from the first two sections as young 'Jim' receives the gem that provides him with powers and sets off to figure out what to do with it. The fragment I posted is the start of his 'first mission', if you will.

- While not noted in this fragment, 'Jim' is probably 19-21 and still a bit naive at this point. It's also the time period we would identify as the 1980s, but not quite the same as our history. For one, there's this guy running around with a gem that can provide him with abilities. :)

- The story is meant to fit into the overall 'Steveverse', the same universe that El Hombre de Silla and Patrick Thompson, amongst others, inhabit. I've not worked on this in awhile as I've mostly been trying to crank out El Hombre 'short' stories for a collection. As I think I'm a bit burned out on that, I might hop back into this briefly to revive my creative juices or I've got a different short story that seems bound and determined to escape me. Did some planning work on that last night.

- According to the stats, this is my 500th blog post. Woo-hoo!

2 comments:

MovieMan said...

Congrats on the 500. More importantly I think this story is very cool and am interested in knowing more about the character,etc. I think either Matt or Jim work. Its seems fitting for his kind of personality.

Anonymous said...

This, this I like. Ejoyable, easy to follow, and am interested in reading more as it becomes available.

-JB