19 February 2009

A Few Thoughts on Comics from This Week

Light week this week.

My favorite this week is Amazing Spider-Man Family #4. Don't like Brand New Day and its effects? Spidey Family features mostly fun stories and has very little bearing on mainstream 'continuity'. This issue has a short story based in the mainstream, reprints Spidey issues 97 and 98, a story set in the Spider-Girl continuity, an Aunt May story that's cute... and the return of Spider-Ham! Yes! One of the first comics I got when I started intentionally getting comics. It's a fun story, nothing earth shattering but fun.

Simpsons Comics #151 introduces Moe's family. He has family?

Dark Avengers #2. I have to believe this is a storyline type book, the sort of thing designed to run for a year or two before ending. It's too much like Thunderbolts to continue much longer than that. More of an interesting idea than anything else.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #60 is the last issue of the book. Does it wrap anything up? Nope. There's a miniseries to do that. Not a bad issue but the lack of closure annoyed me.

Marvel Adventures - The Avengers #33 made me laugh out loud at one point. If you don't like how 'dark' the mainstream books are right now, then get some of the Marvel Adventures books. They're designed for a slightly younger audience and can be a hoot. Generally good art and good writing that doesn't take itself too seriously, in a way that works more often than not.

As normal, I got more books that just this but this is what I felt like talking about.

No comments: