29 January 2009

A Few Thoughts on Comics from This Week

I understand that I'm not that big a DC guy, but by in large, 'Final Crisis' left me cold. Issue 7 came out yesterday and I'm not completely sure what was supposed to have happened. I liked the middle of the story but the beginning and the end were just 'huh?' moments for me. I'll try reading it all in a row and see if that helps any.

Fantastic Four #563 was pretty great. I was hopeful but concerned when Mark Miller and Bryan Hitch took over the book but the ride so far has been fantastic, pun intended. It feels like we're being taken to new places with the stories but it's not like they rebooted the book and this is the Ultimate FF or something. It feels like the characters we've come to know but just not spinning their wheels. Now Ben Grimm is engaged and the Masters of Doom (those who trained Doctor Doom) are on their way. It's exciting reading!

Amazing Spider-Man Extra #2 - The first story is solid but the second, featuring Spidey hanging out with Wolverine in a bar, is excellent. Watching Logan drink whiskey, having him be drunk for a minute before his healing factor processes the liquor and then be hung over is wild.

Usagi Yojimbo #117 - a new arc starts in this book. I've been buying this book for years and I just want to say it's one of the most consistently enjoyable books I buy, a tribute indeed to writer/artist Stan Sakai. Every issue may not be earth shattering, but I cannot think of one that was even close to being bad. He is great.

Savage Dragon #144 - a fun experiment. Each panel is meant to be from a different day. It's like watching someone's life in fast-forward, seeing the highlights and watching certain changes happen gradually, which is better than fast-forwarding half a year and just referencing things as having changed.

Ultimate Spider-Man #130 - the Ultimatum wave impacts the regular book. Loved it. Good action for the supporting cast. Fascinated by Spidey being thrown in over his head. What do you do when a tidal wave submerges Manhattan? He doesn't know either but he does what he can.

New Avengers #49 - one story thread is wrapped up and pushes forward another. The speech from Clint Barton at the end makes the issue so worthwhile for me.

Nova, Captain America, and Daredevil continue their solid streaks as well.

I bought some other stuff as well, and it's lack of mention here doesn't mean I didn't like it, but this is what I felt like talking about. I've been meaning to do this sort of thing for awhile, a weekly look at new books. Let's see how it goes from here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how often you read your comments, but I saw this and thought of ya!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1897772

Doctor-related madness indeed!

Unknown said...

I read my comments as soon as I see them arrive. I love my comments!

Fun clip. I think the footage of Troughton from 'The Invasion' had been colorized. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that clip from the reconstuction?

Unknown said...

It shouldn't be. It's from the end of the story and those episodes exist. Only 1 and 4 of the 8 are missing and have been reconstructed/animated. Even if it was from the recon, it wouldn't look like this (either moving or non-cartoony). There is a chap that was colorizing 60's Doctor Who just for the fun of it and it could have been from him.

Or I imagined it. One of the two.

Unknown said...

Lets just go to the source of all this, hmm? Not only what I was thinking of, but the origin of the original link.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BabelColour&view=videos

Definitely watch 'The Time War' trailer.