09 August 2008

Me am a Sucker

I'm a sucker for 'drive-in' type movies (the sort of movie made inexpensively with the expectation that most patrons wouldn't be watching much of the movie anyway). I'm also a sucker for programmes that have been restored and/or remastered. I'm also a sucker for low priced DVDs.

These interests collided with a purchase I made yesterday: 'Drive-In Cult Classics Volume 2'. This 4 double-sided DVD collection boasts 8 movies and for which I paid the princely sum of $10. 6 of the 8 movies boast that they have been remastered, either from high quality film prints or the original negative. 2 are in widescreen. One movie boasts Donald Pleasance and Peter Cushing!

So I bit.

I've scanned a couple of the movies to see what they look like. The transfer on 'Madman of Mandoras', the movie transferred from the negative, looks quite nice for the couple minutes I watched. There did appear to be a slight gatefloat type shudder to the transfer but I'm not sure if I was imagining it, if it was only for a reel or what. I'm going to try to talk myself into watching it soon and perhaps I'll figure it out then. The set also contains the extended for TV version of the film which bears the more colourful title 'They Saved Hitler's Brain'.

So far it looks like it was worth the $10. Hopefully more to follow on this one.

No comments: